• Zoning and Land Use
• Commercial Real Estate
• Business Law
• University of North Carolina School of Law
(J. D. 1994)
• Vanderbilt University
(B.A. in Economics & German, 1990)
- Zoning and Land Use
- Commercial Real Estate
- Business Law
Admissions & Certifications
- Admitted in 1994, North Carolina
- 1997, South Carolina
- 1994, U.S. District Court, Eastern District of North Carolina
- 1997, U.S. District Court, Western District of North Carolina
- 2000, U.S. District Court, Middle District of North Carolina
- 2009, Massachusetts
- 2017, U.S. Supreme Court
- Board Certified Specialist in Real Property Law – Residential, Business, Commercial and Industrial Transactions (North Carolina, 2003)
- North Carolina Bar Association (Member, Section on Real Property and Section on Land Use)
- Past Member of Real Property Council, Past Chair of Legislative Committee and Former Member, Joint Forms Committee)
- North Carolina State Bar Real Property Law Specialization Committee
- Assist both business and municipal clients on a wide variety of zoning, planning and land use matters, including eminent domain, zoning changes, subdivisions, conditional use permits, variances, design review applications, and other planning entitlements.
- Represent owners, borrowers and lenders in connection with the acquisition, ownership, leasing, management, financing, development, use, transfer, and disposition of business, commercial, industrial and residential real property.
- Defend and prosecute real property litigation including matters relating to landlord-tenant issues, including eviction, failure to pay rent and use of property, financing, warranties and disclosures, restrictions on use of land, allegedly fraudulent representations, defects in title and land descriptions, title insurance claims, boundary, easement and right-of-way disputes and partition.
Publications & Presentations
- Former Adjunct Professor of Law, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill School of Law, Advanced Real Property.
- “Special Situations and Entities”, North Carolina Bar Center, November 13, 2015
- “Foreclosure from the Title Examiner’s Perspective”, North Carolina Bar Center, September 19, 2008
- “Conveyances Involving Special Situations and Entities”, North Carolina Bar Center, November 9, 2006
- Commissioner, North Carolina General Statutes Commission (2022-present)
- Former Member City of Burlington UDO Advisory Committee
- Former Board Member, Burlington Downtown Corporation
- Former Member, City of Burlington Historical Commission
- Former President, Family Abuse Services of Alamance County
- Born in Flint, Michigan
- Raised in Chapel Hill, North Carolina
- Speaks German
Working With Us
EXPERT LEGAL COUNSEL FOR BUSINESSES, NON‑PROFITS, AND FAMILIES
At Pittman & Steele, we sit with our clients, not across from them. We listen first, then speak. We work for our clients, not around them. Pittman & Steele takes the long view, investing in relationships and our local community. It’s not about parking spaces, dark suits, or thick documents. It’s about outcomes that position our clients for success. If your business, non-profit, or family needs expert legal counsel, we welcome the conversation.
If you would like to start the conversation, please contact us at 336.270.4440
Please note that we cannot represent you nor can we treat unsolicited information as confidential until we know that doing so will not create a conflict of interest. Accordingly, please DO NOT send information about any matter unless you have a written engagement letter from us stating that we represent you as a client.